Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Product Review: Quorn!



If you have gone meatless for long enough, you have had your fair share of faux meats. Meatless alternatives have really seemed to gone mainstream in the past few years. One of the things that I have been trying to cut back on is my intake of soy.

It has been really difficult to find meatless alternatives that do not contain soy--until now. About a year ago, as I was walking down the frozen foods aisle at Whole Foods, I noticed a brand that I had not seen before. It was called Quorn (pronounced "corn" I believe). Intrigued by the yummy photos on the packaging, I picked up a bag of Quorn Grounds and a box of Quorn Burgers.

That night I made tacos using the crumbles and....OMG were they good. Honestly, they tasted so much like real meat I actually had to look at the ingredients again. The thing I like about the crumbles are that they actually maintain their consistency and density as you cook them. Other brands of crumbles tend to break down and get mushy.

I have been able to find Quorn at the following stores:
  • Whole Foods
  • Target
  • Albertsons
  • Smith's

Below are some brief reviews of the products I have tried from Quorn so far! Click on the product name for a link to their website and nutritional facts.

  • Classic Burgers: Holy mess are these good. They are actually juicy, have amazing texture, and honestly are better than any meat burger that I have had.
  • Grounds: These are fantastic as I have mentioned before. I use them in chili, pasta sauce, tacos, and a shepherds pie recipe that I came up with. I will post a recipe when we get into the cooler months. It is off the chain if I do say so for myself :-)
  • Turk'y Burgers: These are really good with blue cheese and bbq sauce!
  • Meatballs: My husband made spaghetti and meatballs one night with these. He served me up a dish and I thought they were real meat!! They are dense and flavorful like a real meatball and hold up to being cooked in sauce. Some other brands get mushy and fall apart.
  • Garlic and Herb Chik'n Cutlets: Seriously these are my absolute favorite product that they have! They are better than the real thing. I use these to make "chicken" parmesan and I also bake them, cut them up and add them to salads. They also make one with Gruyère that is amazing and kind of like a chicken cordon bleu without the ham. Both of these are the bomb.
  • Chik'n Nuggets: Why buy those disgusting things from McDonalds when you can have these? They are a little bit crunchy, a little bit juicy, and are fantastic dipped in bbq sauce. Kids would love these.
  • Roast: Last Thanksgiving I made one of these. The next day I made "turkey" sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry sauce. Definitely off the hook. When you slice the roast, it holds up like real turkey. Really juicy and meat-like.
Let me know how you like these products and what you made with them!

5 comments:

  1. I just found these at the market, and I love the Gruyere Cheese Cutlet. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thank you so much for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. love Quorn! i have been using it for about 8 years now & i stopped buying brands like morningstar farms & boca because of Quorn. i live outside philadelphia & have Wegmans supermarkets. they have a wonderful selection of Quorn. i love finding new recipes to incorporate quorn into so thanks for sharing the curry chicken recipe. it was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard awesome things about Wegmans! Do you guys get the little pigs in the blanket? I think I saw them on their website, but maybe it is only marketed in the UK so far. I love the fact that their products don't contain soy. I get worried that I eat too much of it sometimes.

      Delete
  3. wegmans is AMAZING. i can finally do all of my shopping at one place. i used to have to split it up into 3 different stores. i have not seen the pigs in a blanket. they offer so much more in the UK than they do in the US.:( i also love that their products do not contain soy. i have been a vegetarian for 25 years. my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 37 & died at the age of 42. i know i eat too much soy & you would think with my history i would be super careful about my intake. i really am trying to be more aware. for a while i was eating tofu dishes two times a week & often i would eat a bag of steamed edamame as my lunch. it stinks i love soy so much.

    ReplyDelete