Monday, July 1, 2013

RECIPE: Go Raw Part-Time in the Summer

Ever heard of the 80/10/10 diet? Dr. Douglas Graham created this diet back in the late 70s and has gained a rather large following (some may say "cult-like") in the past 5 or so years. The basic principles behind the diet are that you eat nothing but uncooked fruits and vegetables and very little overt fats--such as nuts, seeds, and avocados.

While I cannot see myself actually ever adopting this diet completely, I do see that it has enormous value for me in the summer time. I live in the blistering hot Nevada desert and when it gets over a 100 degrees, cooking behind a stove or even eating cooked food sounds horrid.

I tend to eat with the season. When it is cold, I crave hot curried vegetable stews, pasta, and soup. When it is hot, I crave fresh watermelon and salad.

Here is a simple recipe for a refreshing salad that I make with a snazzy kitchen tool called a spiralizer. If this recipe looks good to you, you can either make your own "noodles" with a veggie peeler, or you can check out the contraption that I use on my Amazon Store located on my blog.



About the Spiralizer
I use the Paderno World Cuisine Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer. It is great for making quick, tasty, and refreshing veggie noodles.

See below, how you use the spiralizer. 

This spiralizer also comes with three attachments. You can make skinny, fat, or flat noodles.

Recipe:
Refreshing Veggie Noodle Salad

  • 1 cucumber spiralized
  • 1 zucchini spiralized
  • 1/2 of thinly sliced red bell pepper 
  • 1/2 of thinly sliced green bell pepper
  • 1 chopped green onion. (leave off the white ends)
  • 2 tbs of your favorite Asian dressing.
Products I Used:
  • Fresh and Easy Grocery Store bought Toasted Sesame Dressing. It is nutty, sweet, and reminds me of the Chinese salad dressing they make at the California Pizza Kitchen. 
If you are interested in learning more about the 80/10/10 diet and would like some recipe ideas, I follow a couple of great vlogs on YouTube.








No comments:

Post a Comment