Sunday, August 4, 2013

RECIPE: Yellow Curry with Quorn Chik'n Cutlets




I absolutely love curry. Last night I made this delicious dish using the Quorn brand  Chik'n Cutlets and it was so good. Here is my recipe:

Ingredients



  • 1 small yellow onion. 
  • 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
  • 1 stalk of lemongrass finely chopped (you can use frozen if you can't find fresh)
  • 1/4 cup of fresh basil cut into chiffonade form (add the last minute of cooking)
  • 3 tablespoons of yellow curry powder ( I use the Fresh and Easy Curry Powder but use any brand that you like)
  • 4 Thawed Quorn Cutlets sliced into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large potato cut into 1 inch cubes parboiled for 7-10 minutes
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp of dried chili flakes
  • 1 inch portion of fresh ginger finely chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsps salt
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp of turmeric

Preparation


  1.  Slice the onion and saute it with the Quorn cutlets in the olive oil.
  2.  As they are sauteing, add your spices and aromatics. (salt, chili flakes, ginger, lemongrass, curry powder, coriander, cumin, garlic, turmeric, and sugar)
  3. Saute until slightly browned.
  4. Add the coconut milk and stir.
  5. Add your water to get it to the desired thickness.
  6. Add your potatoes and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  7. The last minute add in your fresh basil.
  8. If you feel that the consistency is too thick, you can always add a bit of water.
Serve and enjoy with a scoop of basmati rice!

Note: I made a curry chicken salad today using the leftovers and it was awesome!

6 comments:

  1. how much onion do i use? & what kind? i don't see it in the ingredients. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for checking out my blog! I use one small onion or a half of a medium. Sorry that I left that out!

      Delete
    2. I also use just a plain yellow onion. :)

      Delete
  2. thanks! i made this before i got the message. i used a half an onion. i do have a question about the water. i felt the consistency was perfect before i added the water. i added 1 cup & it never thickened up, it stayed soupy even after simmering for 10 mins & letting sit for even longer. overall is was DELICIOUS! the flavor was perfection! i can't wait to eat the leftovers. & so nice to have another recipe to use with the quorn products. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it! You are awesome for letting me know some of the issues with the recipe. The only thing I can think of with the consistency is I think maybe it depends on the level of fat in the coconut milk. If you use the full fat version as I do, it always seems to be too thick. I think I will modify the recipe based upon your suggestion to maybe add a bit of water ONLY if it is needed. I really appreciate your feedback. Have a great evening.

      Delete
    2. i just bought whatever can was on the shelf. it was goya but i didn't even pay attention to the level of fat. i am happy to be able to provide feedback. after i refrigerated the leftovers it thickened up nice & the flavor was even better the following day. a dish i will make again for sure!

      Delete